Thursday, January 05, 2006

Brokeback Mountain: Gene Shalit is Way Off

Dear Today/NBC:

I have never been compelled to write, although I have watched the show since my teens.

Gene Shalit's review of Brokeback Mountain demonstrates how little he understands about the struggle homosexual men and women endure psychologically in small towns -- even today.

I recently moved to San Francisco from New York, so I take my freedom for granted. It's not like that in small towns, however, and it is rarely depicted as eloquently and accurately as it was in Brokeback Mountain.

For Mr. Shalit to say Jake Gyllenhaal bordered on being a sexual predator is irresponsible -- at least -- and I was sorry to see his opinion nationally televised. Regardless his opinions on gay people -- I suspect he is open-minded and balanced -- his review came across as bigoted.

What a shame.

Jared

2 Comments:

At 7:31 AM, Blogger Little Light said...

Hey Jared - when you comin back to visit NY?

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger D.J. said...

I'm glad to find your blogs. Why didn't you tell me about them sooner?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home