Sunday, December 30, 2007

A Little Meander About Trains and Voiceovers

So it's finally happening. I'm taking an eight-day trip to visit family up the West Coast. Starting in San Francisco on January 1 at 9:00 p.m., I'll head to Redding, where I'll visit my paternal grandparents, aunt, and one cousin and her family.

From Redding, I'll head to Albany on my choo-choo train, where my sister Jessica will pick me up and take me into Sweet Home, OR, for a day-and-a-half visit. From there my sister, who lives in Portland, will pick me up when she picks up her daughter after holidays with Emma's grandparents (my parents), and we'll all head to Portland where I'll stay for another day-and-a-half.

I'll take a 17 hour journey from Portland to San Francisco, starting mid-day on January 8 and arriving at SF's Union Square on January 9 at 9:20 a.m. What an adventure! I'm taking my camera and planning to pretend like I'm on a great adventure, dining in the dining car and drinking in the lounge. I can't wait!

Which brings me strangely to voice overs.

I've always been fascinated by people who make their living doing voice overs. I once researched a guy who does movie trailers, and found that there are five "main" voice over guys living in Hollywood.

But tonight I looked up Amtrak's "Julie," only to stumble across an article called "The Voice" in The Boston Globe." My voice over geek hit high burn when I started Googling around and found that Tom Glynn -- who greets Bank of America, United, Apple, and CVS customers like me every day -- is a musician. And a good one!




So bon voyage to me. And if you're at all geeked out like I am about voice over talent ("What do they look like?" "Are they real people?" Etc), then you'll enjoy these links.
And don't even get me started on Amtrak's "Julie." (She saves them millions per year.)



Yes, I'm fascinated.

Happy New Year and happy trails!


1 Comments:

At 7:31 PM, Blogger Kandace said...

Tom Glynn, way cute! Much different than I imagined.

The one I want to strangle is the AT&T lady!!! She is way too nosy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home