Monday, August 20, 2007

In Puerto Vallarta

Glory be! The villa has wireless Internet! Here we are, Van and I, sitting a few hundred feet above the ocean, looking out over the huge expanse of Puerto Vallarta's Banderas Bay. We've been looking forward to being here since last August when we came. This is the most perfect place on earth for me. Safe. Solitude. A place to ponder my next step in life. Funny that "I Am Changing" is playing on the iPod right now. I'm 37 and it's time to ramp things up. Without kids it can be hard to find your place in the adult world. At least that has been my experience. Going to college late and still being young enough looking at the time to blend in. Stepping out and being thrust into interesting work I had no idea existed. It's been interesting so far. Now it's time to take control. Whatever that means with the roadblocks I've set up for myself. Tear them down. One by one if that's what it takes. For a year now, I've thought it would be great to buy a fixer-upper resort in Mexico -- or a similar location -- and build a fun place where fun-minded folks can just come cut loose. Play like kids. Yum Yum is an inspiration. Those kind of folks need an escape and I'd love to create it. I'm looking at 15-20 years down the road. What am I doing? I'm 52 and hosting folks at the resort Van and I created. And it gives him something he loves to do in his old age. Can you tell I've had two beers already? Can it be? Is it possible given my life track? The mistakes. The effort. The uninformed moving into informed moving into jaded and then stealing back a love for life. Perhaps my mortality is staring me in the face more than in the past. This job offer has been sobering. I am ready but also terrified. I feel more than ever like I'm following in my father's footsteps. It's a shame he decides not to be around to see it. Here's to this next adventure. Bumps and all.


1 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Blogger Little Light said...

Enjoy the adventure!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home