Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Day Three in Paradise

So, it's day three (actually 2.5) in paradise and I am catching up on some much missed sleep. I clearly need to buy a new mattress when I get home. (Thanks D.J. for the tip.) I sleep like a baby here on this beautiful mattress. Enough with the hurtin' back and the springs pokin' me back home. Time to buy up.

Several board members of my new organization have emailed to congratulate me on my new appointment. It's hard to enjoy this new gig just yet. I'll relax when I've had some time to process it. It all happened quick and hard. There is a shift with this new gig. My early ED experience was mine along, meaning that I founded the organization and fell into the ED responsibilities by default. The second ED role was a brief 9-month interim contract. It was a "save a sinking organization" effort, and in the end, I did a lot but still recommended to close it down. This, however, is new because it's a viable organization with a strong budget and money set aside. It even looks like an endowment may be possible. Their PR consultant has asked for my photo, full bio, and quotes about why I'm excited to be at the organization. But I feel ready after so many years in the saddle. It is time and the fit is right. I know I can lead this group of people. I know I can double the budget in a few years -- that there are several great programs we can add -- that there is advocacy to be done in a bigger way. This is the calm before the storm. A threshold.

Last night, we went to Andale and ate on the upstairs balcony. Then went to a club that was gorgeous but deserted. Apparently, we were there early -- at 10:30 p.m. The place was picking up as we headed out. It's also the off-season. I can imagine that it is teaming with gays getting their groove on during the high season. Beautiful place. Reminiscent of circa 60s Hollywood.

Husband needs the computer so I'm signing off.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home