Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Morning Peace

I have in recent years recalled and longed for the feeling I got on quiet Saturday mornings as a youth sitting across the kitchen table from my grandfather at my grandparents house. It was usually dark and cold outside. My siblings and cousins were still zonked on the living room floor while my grandmother made hot cocoa and my grandfather put jelly on endless stacks of buttered toast. It was 5:30 a.m. and we were readying ourselves for the seven or eight mile drive into Central Valley where I would soon be folding and distributing Saturday morning in my grandfather's Chevy pick up.


My mornings have become much like that now, and I wonder if we're really made to work for anyone else at all. To be expected to "be here at 9:00 a.m." or earlier. To have to meet increasing demands with less staff, less recognition, and for some, less income.

At least for me, that life is not where I thrive. It stresses me out. It makes me feel non-human.

Today, I awaken with the sun, pad over to my desk to fire up my laptop, zip into the kitchen to start some water to boil, grab a piece of fruit and take my medication and turn on the radio. It's all very civilized and deliberate. I sit down to write with piping hot tea by my side, bundled in my robe, hair amassed and sticking in all directions. I might stay that way until 3:00 p.m.

But for now, I look down at Sutter Street and all the people insanely passing by. And I feel gratefully cocooned in my toasty apartment with my husband snoozing his final hours away before he has to get up and join the rat race.

2 Comments:

At 11:34 PM, Blogger Kandace said...

Wow! You just took me back to when we were kids and you had that paper route! Funny how one joins the "rat race" and forgets the cozy times we spent as kids. I, like you, have the same luxary. We have truly made wonderful lives for ourselves. To self employment and makeing our own rules...here, here!

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Little Light said...

I remember mornings like that too which is why I still get up at 7am on Saturdays, just so I can pad around and be completely lazy and go back to bed. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home