Saturday, March 11, 2006

Fudging It

Yesterday on the bus a woman on her cell phone told her colleague that she was just getting off the bus at Union Square. We were at Van Ness, which is actually six stops away.

I call Van and say, "Honey, I'm just heading down the escalator at Powell Station, I should be on the next train." When I can actually see the station but I'm still three blocks away.

It occurred to me that we Americans are so accustomed to fudging it -- lying -- that we scarcely recognize when we're doing it.

It's easy to overshoot, under-admit, compensate, and spin details we think might make us look better. But why? And why is it so effortless?


3 Comments:

At 12:17 PM, Blogger D.J. said...

I thought you're blog was going to be about putting fudge on a cake. Shows you where my mind it right now!

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey... I linked to you via Little Light, and I'm so glad I did! I haven't read much... but already I can tell that your "The Things I Love" post is my absolute favorite! I really like the idea of remembering when you first heard particular words! Brilliant!

Regarding fudge...
Uh, guilty here. Like when people call when you're napping and ask if they woke you... Of course not.

Anyway, glad I found you...

Angie

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Jay said...

Thanks, Angie. What a sweet note - thanks for reading.

And D.J., GET OUT OF THE FRIDGE!

Jared

 

Post a Comment

<< Home