Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The Things I Love

Twenty one years ago at age 14, I won a California State writing competition with a piece called "The Things I Love." Okay, it was second place. It was a two page, single-spaced, three sentence work of honesty. I'm repeating it here for the hell of it. Here's to the next 21 years.

I love snuggling up in my mocha leather chair with this overheated laptop on my lap, living a modest, comfortable life in the heart of San Francisco. I love the freedom to embrace my partner publicly and be not only accepted but welcomed and appreciated for more than what I do in the bedroom. I love Thursday night dinners with our group of friends, traveling to Oakland by BART and walking through a seedy neighborhood to get to the posh Jack London Square where we kick it with homemade pizza and yummy chicken burritos. I love reading good books. Well written books where the language takes you effortlessly through a story and is as much a featured player as the plot. I love the movies, complete with a pre-event stop to Walgreens to pick up chocolate covered Pretzel Bites, stuffed in my gym bag containing clothes I haven't used in two years, carrying the extra nine pounds to prove it. I love my American Express card too much. So much that I once cut it up to get control. Too soon, or too late, given that it was near expiration and I soon got my newly minted shiny this-one-should-last-ya-another-good-two-years-of-overspending satan-inspired goldness. I love that it's still gold, though, and not black or clear, god forbid. I don't know what those colors mean except that you can spend more and pay more annually.

I love words like caveat, matriculate, conundrum, and masticate. They remind me of the day I first heard them. Not in sixth grade english class where I aced vocabulary tests then promptly forgot my new ten words of the day. But when I really heard them for the first time and they stuck. I secretly love motivational quotes like the one on my computer desktop: "When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compare or compete, everybody will respect you," - Lao Tzu. I should know who Lao Tzu is after my trip through Hong Kong, Shanghai, Tokyo, and more last summer. But I don't. Is an Internet search far off? And I love that it took 35 years to conclude through a simple quote what my father tried to tell me all along.

1 Comments:

At 6:44 AM, Blogger D.J. said...

I will forever think of you when I hear or use the word caveat. It will always make me smile:-)!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home