Saturday, March 11, 2006

My Former Brief Corporate Life

For a minute I was up there. Working with a 50 billion dollar biopharmaceauticals corporation. Strategizing with a global healthcare company. The tenth largest law firm in the world. Batting ideas with a technology giant and wearing out the telephone lines on behalf of a financial services monopoly. I was somebody.

I ground through research to find just the right person who could lead them, protect them, make their investors happy. I was in the heart of it. Early mornings in that 12th floor office, clear grey skies opening into blue crisp afternoons. On into night I worked, twinkling lights from other buildings deceiving me. Helping fuel my own bank account.

Then it all stopped. As quickly as it had begun, it stopped. I don't miss it. I'd rather be the person driving by on the freeway looking at all the pretty lights at night not knowing who or what is going on inside those buildings. I'd rather lay at eye level with a tulip in a patch of tulips than go on living nothingness for a buck.

I am lucky to have come full circle so quickly. To have gotten in, surveyed, taken, and gotten out. It isn't what we were designed to do. I miss the stimulation but not the lies. I miss the challenge but not the exhaustion. Nor the nothingness I contributed to mankind.

I'd rather be a mathematician struggling away at some problem. Or a dancer teaching people eight to 80 how to connect with their souls and enjoy the thump of feet on a wood floor. I'd rather be anything but a slave to a financial district, which regards the rest of the world as uninformed, unnecessary, and uncounted.

I was broken in the process but I came out with greater skills, refined clarity, and love for a real life and others.


3 Comments:

At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NOW you are somebody... Somebody with something of worth to say.

And I like listening!

Blog on, baby!

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger D.J. said...

Having never been in that world, I can see how it is not what we're designed to do, at least not me.

I'm glad you got out and are back to more creative things.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Little Light said...

Oh, I just went ahead and gave up. The good news is that even creatives can find a place of meaning in a corporate environment. It is soulless, but not without souls.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home