Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Satisfying Work

My days at the chorus I manage include a hefty bulk of my own admin work, despite my program director title with several people reporting to me in addition to over 200 volunteers, 14 faculty, and a board of directors that I could shoot half the time.

I recently stole a friend's favorite quote as my own and posted it near my office computer: "Life's tough, get a helmet." I also printed and posted a quote of my own: "This office pushes, prods, pulls, and pokes. Any questions?"

So it was my great pleasure this week to do something of substance. When forced to write a press release about a diversity scholarship I co-founded and have since cultivated with a board member, I pulled this detail from our stats.

In September 2004 (when I joined the chorus), we were at 10.3% diversity, with Caucasian, Asian, and Eurasian children serving as the "norm."

Today, we are at 32% diversity.

It's a satisfying number, albeit a ton of hard work. And while not perfect, we're headed in the right direction. The difference has been finding funding that allows us to actively recruit talent in schools from SF's most underserved neighborhoods, complete with tuition and transportation provided to each recipient.


1 Comments:

At 4:07 PM, Blogger D.J. said...

That's great!! Mexican's can sing too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home