Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas

The first gift I remember wanting as a child was a Mr. Professor calculator. There must have been other things I wanted. I was seven or eight when I wanted a Mr. Professor calculator. I also wanted drawing pencils and charcoals, as well as a sketch pad. And an aquarium. The aquarium came when I got a paper route at age nine and bought it myself.

That was when I cataloged every experience and object by smell and color. When a cool afternoon sitting on a picnic table with a friend at the elementary school across the street seemed like it would last forever.

Tonight I lived a Christmas memory of my own creation -- the annual Christmas Eve Eve party Van and I started a few years ago. It made me reflect on my own Christmas experiences -- with and without family. With friends who've become my family. With Van who sometimes drives me insane and always makes me happy.

I don't "taste" experiences and possessions like I used to. Life is too fast. But I do cherish the experiences I have with friends and the moments when I am able to put life on pause long enough to really see them and love them.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home