Monday, January 08, 2007

Loving to Learn

I learned a variety of things about my health in May of 2006. One was that my cholesterol falls in the combat zone between good and bad. (The other, of course, was my very low testosterone levels).

So after dealing with the personal issues surrounding the "bigger" issue, I finally took the plunge on October 20. In addition to beginning hormone replacement therapy, which changed my life in remarkable ways, I also began exercising and changing my diet to reduce my cholesterol.

I've learned quite a bit since then about the way things are believed to work: good and bad cholesterol, animal vs. plant protein, simple and carbohydrates, soluble and insoluble fiber, the power of antioxidants, and all sorts of other things I can't believe I never knew. I've been tossing whatever is within reach down my throat for too long. I believe I am finally learning balance -- including knowing when to go ahead and indulge with friends (which of course I do every Thursday).

One of the most enjoyable sites I've found in this little pursuit has been AskDrSears.com, a site maintained by a husband/wife doctor team and two of their doctor children. At first glance, it appears to focus on health for babies and children. But Google introduced the site to me when I began researching the benefits of soy, so I got "back doored" into AskDrSears.com.


They make the science of food and exercise a bit easier to understand -- and therefore come recommended by me as a great resource for anyone looking to make a change in 2007.


1 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Blogger D.J. said...

I love that site, but I only use it when I have questions about Charlotte. If you ever have kids, his book about babies is great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home