Monday, March 13, 2006

Unknown White Male

I saw "Single White Male" at a local independent theater last night -- a fascinating movie that's worth the $10. It's a story about a New York stock broker from the UK who wakes up on a train at Coney Island.

He realizes he doesn't know how he got there, and worse, that he doesn't know who he is. With only incidental items in the backpack on his back, he turns himself into the police and winds up in the hospital with no hope of getting out until someone identifies him and picks him up.

He is diagnosed with a rare type of retrograde amnesia.

It's a thoughtful glimpse at who we might be if we didn't have the benefit of a past to link us to ourselves, our patterns, our behaviors and friends, likes and dislikes.

At one point he flies to meet a group of men who had been lifelong buddies in the UK. After the meeting he says, "I've been surrounded by women in New York. Getting here, I was surprised by how unemotional they were. It was like they were working to suppress their emotion."

That coupled with the frank admission by his friends about their fear that they might be rejected after "his meeting them for the first time," and you've got quite a lot to ponder.


2 Comments:

At 9:07 AM, Blogger D.J. said...

I almost picked that movie to see on my birthday, but opted for something a little more fun. It's definitely on my list of movies to see, but I might wait until it's out on Netflix.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Little Light said...

I want to see that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home